What an opportunity! We’re not just starting a new year, we’re starting a new DECADE!! Was it not just yesterday when we were all singing along with Prince, “We’re going to party like it’s 1999”?!
I’m inviting you to make 2020 about transformation, YOUR TRANSFORMATION!
The reality is that the stats show more than half of all New Year’s resolutions are health or money related: exercise more, eat healthier & get out of financial debt. Unfortunately, more than ½ give up on their commitments by mid-January!
As a personal trainer who’s been around the industry for over 20 years working in exclusive gyms, community centres, public parks, backyards, teaching bootcamps, one-on-one private sessions & now coaching primarily on-line, I’ve seen a lot There are more health gimmicks than ever before, especially at this time of year: restrictive diets & radical fitness regimes that more often than not leave people jaded, physically ill, mentally exhausted & financially broken.
But I’m here with GOOD NEWS!
My style as a trainer has always been about helping people set attainable goals. I focus on teaching, inspiring & equipping people with a common sense approach, a back-to-basics way of thinking & a transparent plan to optimal health! I believe that health is a journey & from a personal point of view, I’m in this for the long haul! Keeping health simple is just who I am & I promote this way of living so that it becomes a lifestyle people want to live every day because of how great it helps them to feel!
I’m also a very busy mompreneur of 2 competitive athletes: aka supreme chauffeur who works from home raising conscious leaders & kids… otherwise known as JP Jenn.
I thrive on helping others discover their health through the journey of mindset around food, fitness & lifestyle. For me, it’s helping people to want to make the commitment to themselves because they understand not just the value of good health, but because they know that good health will allow them to live a happier & more fulfilled life.
It might sound crazy, but when you start peeling back the layers of habits, you discover that they were just holding you back from living your full potential! It's incredibly liberating in so many ways because underneath it all, there’s a hard truth… it’s never just about losing weight & gaining muscle!
Raise your VIBRATION!
I’m writing this blog to stir up those who've been experiencing feelings of wanting to take your health to the next level because “it’s time…”.
These 10 simple health habits can be game changers for you! So I ask, WHAT IF… ~ you could have more energy? ~ lose the bloated feeling? ~ feel clear headed every day? ~ not feel frumpy in your clothes? ~ sleep like a baby? ~ change your blood results: blood pressure, cholesterol, homo-cycsteine? ~ feel healthier & happier? ~ get more fit?
How would that IMPACT… ~ you as a person? ~ friend? ~ parent? ~ spouse? ~ business leader?
Can you see how impactful this can be on your LIFE?! It’s so so so A~meh~ZING!
Before I dive into my Top 10 Tips for Health in 2020, I want to bring your attention to the importance of having clarity & expectations around your goals.
It’s worth spending some time thinking about what’s important to you, what are your short & long term goals & even diving into why this matters to you right now.
Also, make time to prioritize your expectations because this will help you to get more committed to the work involved in achieving your goals.
Getting clear on these will serve you greatly when the road seems long & impossible.
Lastly, keep your list short: one simple change at a time is best for long term success because our goal is progress, not perfection.
Now that we’ve set some vision for how impactful this can be for you, let’s begin…
1. SLEEP: It’s common sense yet, it’s the one self care activity most of us compromise when life gets busy. As a natural nighthawk, committing to the earlier bedtime challenge was a huge shift for me but... it has impacted my days much more than I anticipated! Did you know that our adrenal glands kick in for a “second wind” when we “push past” that tired feeling? They do! And ignoring cues for rest & “running on empty” puts further stress on the body as a whole, but especially those adrenals. The problem with this is that the adrenal glands play a key role in helping to regulate your metabolism, immune system, blood pressure & assist the body in repairing itself during sleep. Pretty big deal, eh? So don’t uker your body’s natural instinct to be in a state of health ~ know your limits & get sleep Superwoman (or Man)!
2. WAKE UP EARLY: Have you ever thought that waking up early can actually help to prevent sleep debit & fuel your body? What a concept?! Keep in mind, your sugar levels are lowest after a long night’s sleep so rising & fueling right away helps to prevent that sluggish feeling. I like to start my day with a smoothie: I use a clean burning protein powder that fuels that my brain & body for a strong start! Also, a wonderful & exciting little nugget I will share with you is that the stress hormone cortisol is highest between 6am & 8am… why does this matter? Because, this is an optimal time to give the best of you to your most important work of the day!
3. MEDITATE/AFFIRMATIONS: I know… eye roll. Honestly, if you dare to experience the power of it, you won’t ever want to start your day without doing this one small habit! If you’re a novice, an easy way to begin is to sit up in bed when you first wake up, find a spot on the wall & take a deep breath. Be intentional about relaxing [this will help to lower blood pressure] & try to think about nothing. I struggle with this because when I try to think about nothing, I immediately think of Seinfeld ;-) The Insight Timer Meditation App is a great tool ~ start small with 30 seconds, increasing your time gradually. When I’m done meditating (my time varies day-to-day) I take a few minutes to think about my day ahead by picking my top 3 “must-dos” so that I’m very clear about my focus for the day. At the very least, before you rock’n’roll out of bed, say 1 positive affirmation statement to yourself: it’s a fab way to begin your day!
4. WATER: I still struggle with this but have found a nice ‘lil trick that is helping me lately: I add mint flavoured chlorophyll to a pretty glass bottle I found on Amazon that has motivation tips written on it. Try to drink a full 8oz before breakfast & if you can, add fresh lemon slices to increase the cleansing effect on your lymphatic system ~ this is so A~meh~ZING & your body will love you for it! Adding herbs like rosemary, basil or mint for natural flavours also helps to make it more appealing for those of us learning to enjoy drinking H2O. Ideally, your water intake for the day should be a minimum of 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
5. POOP: I get it… no one wants to talk about it but here’s the low down [pardon the pun] if it’s not coming out [& regularly, no once a week business here] it’s staying IN you & those toxins get absorbed BACK into your body?! Can we all agree this is counter-productive in a major way?! As someone who suffered terribly with constipation as a child: regular hospital visits, weekly suppositories & stress, let me assure you that pooping is underrated, overlooked & 100% crucial for optimal health. But here’s the good news… achieving healthy poops is the result of two simple actions: eat whole foods + move your body, everyday!
6. MOVE: Inactivity is the new smoking < truth! Our modern day conveniences have turned us into a society that doesn't move which means we must be very intentional about getting daily exercise. Physical activity helps to lower stress hormones, increase energy & positively impacts our mental health… never mind that it burns calories, so if weight-loss is a goal, this is one habit you don’t want to skip! Walk the dog or meet a friend for yoga class! It might feel like you have to “drag” yourself out initially but I promise that you will feel so great afterwards! In fact, please share your experience here! Words of wisdom: find something that you enjoy doing & don’t be afraid of change it up. Personally, when I see that I’m not committing to my workouts, I reassess to identify where the challenge is & I shake it up! My own workouts over the last few years had me working out at home, at the community centre, the YMCA, hot yoga, in a gym, with a private trainer & I keep rotating these according to the season in my time in my life.
7. EAT WHOLE FOODS: Planning & preparation are the key to this step! Healthy or not, you’re going to eat, so stay focused on your goals & know that what’s at the end of your fork will determine how good you feel in about 30 minutes. I personally have been more mindful about this & this short term way of thinking has actually helped me to make better choices before I put food in my mouth. My secret wish for 2020 is that more people will become aware of how much control they actually have over their health. The fact is that we all have illness & disease in our bodies, & aside from genetics, the biggest variable is lifestyle. We all have an incredible opportunity to harm or heal our bodies starting with our food choices. A life changing quote I heard years ago woke me up to the power I had every day: “Genes load the barrel; Lifestyle pulls the trigger.” #boom
8. ATTITUDE: The journey of Life is sprinkled with blessings, challenges, pure joy & curve balls that sometimes we never see coming. In all of these moments, I encourage you to pause, reflect & hold space for these experiences because they show up for a reason. Oftentimes, it’s not immediately obvious why things happen but the optimist in me has learned to lean in, trust the journey & breath through it all! I very much believe that each of us has a purpose & light within us to shine the way for someone else & that struggles show up to help us become better humans. The "catch" is that we must decide to be “awake” to the cues that life presents so that when the day is done & the years have passed, we can enjoy peace & perspective with a happy heart knowing that we’ve lived bravely, authentically & generously.
9. COMMUNITY: Do check-in often to ensure you’re surrounding yourself with the right people ~ folks who hold the same values as you. Folks who are happy to motivate & inspire you! Almost two decades ago, I said yes to a community that has since become my extended family. Today, these friends pour into me as much as I them & we have become each other’s accountability partners in life. Together, with my community of friends & family, I get to live a life of passion, purpose & contribution & if you know my story, you know this was a calling of mine ~ I just wasn’t sure how it could ever be possible. Unbeknownst to me at the time, my vehicle was partnering with these people! So pay close attention to who’s in your corner & reevaluate often. Who’s the first to show up excited to cheer you on your successes, motivate you through your challenges & inspire you to want more so that you can be more? Take note of those people because they are gifts... they’re "your people". In my mind I know that I am enough, but in my heart, I want to grow in my stewardship to serve others & the constant catalyst that pushes me to continue my path of personal growth is this circle of trusted friends.
John Maxwell said it best, “Leadership is not about titles, positions or flowcharts. It’s about one life influencing another.” I am so fortunate to say, this is my community!
10. STAY THE COURSE: Here’s the deal! Your health is the most valuable commodity you own & you are WORTH investing in!
It might not always be easy but it will be worth it! ~ will you stumble? Occassionaly! ~ will you get frustrated? Probably! ~ will you want to throw the towel in? Maybe!
But hear me now loud & clear... there is no greater investment that you can make than in YOU!
Investing in YOU = your HEALTH = your LIFE! #yolo
You are here in this life, surrounded by people who love & adore you! Taking care of you is how you show up in your best way for you & for them!
If I sound urgent it’s because I am! I recently experienced my own awakening & while I don’t believe in living with regrets, I do wish that I had woken up sooner.
Life is short my friends & the goal isn’t about just making it through [gawd I cringe when I hear others talking about “making it to the weekend…” or “when I retire…"
Life isn’t a destination, it’s happening right NOW! ~ time is ticking! ~ in health or recovery… start the journey! ~ your kids need the best of you! ~ your spouse deserves the healthiest you! ~ you are worthy of feeling your best mentally, physically & spiritually!
I’m fortunate to work in partnership with a team of health ambassadors & together we coach a simple lifestyle program that is family friendly & focuses on creating lifestyle habits. We generously share complimentary resources such as: ~ healthy cookbooks ~ fitness books ~ professionally done meal plans *vegan options available ~ workout videos ~ educational events on-line & live ~ hands on work shops ~ fun contests ~ inspiring community
All of this to keep healthy living a priority in peoples’ everyday lives.
Connect with me to learn more about JP HE.AL & how you can join for free today, no purchase necessary! I’m offering a free 15 minute Discovery Call to help you identify how you can get started making your health a priority today!
If you’re feeling the need for a healthier change, are looking for trusted advice & results that are focused around healthy lifestyle habits, then don’t wait any longer!
Let me help you get 20/20 clarity for real success by making 2020 a year you commit to levelling UP to living YOUR healthiest self!!